1928 Pier Bandstand Programme.

This programme shows the Easter Sunday music and dancing to be performed by the Band and Pipers of H.M. 1st Battalion The Cameronians, while the advertisements provide a snapshot of 1920s' Hastings.
This programme shows the Easter Sunday music and dancing to be performed by the Band and Pipers of H.M. 1st Battalion The Cameronians, while the advertisements provide a snapshot of 1920s' Hastings.

In 1914 Hastings Council bought the Pier apron from the Hastings Pier Company, and in 1916 the new bandstand opened. The two curved open-fronted shelters, one of which is now the Pavilion Restaurant, were built afterwards and opened a few months later. Each shelter could seat 650 people and there was room for a further 2,000 deckchairs in the open space around the bandstand. A municipal orchestra formed in 1919 offered up to twelve concerts a week in a variety of musical styles.

 

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

More from 1920s