The Pier bandstand opened in 1916, with two curved open-fronted shelters on either side. Each shelter could seat 650 people and there was room for a further 2,000 deckchairs in the open space around the bandstand. A municipal orchestra formed in 1919 offered up to twelve concerts a week in a variety of musical styles.
More from Changing
More from 1920s