Sidney Little, appointed Borough Engineer in 1926, described Hastings as a “beauty-queen in decrepitude” and saw that to remain a popular seaside resort it needed modernising. In 1927 the town opened White Rock Gardens, and in 1928 slums were cleared in the Old Town. In 1929 a scheme was approved to join up Carlisle Parade (which ended at Queens Hotel) with Marine Parade to the east and to build the worlds first underground car park.
More from seafront
More from 1930s