Hastings Pier was always a commercial venture, and Hastings Pier Company, who ran the Pier from 1872-1983, charged an entrance fee. Entrance to the Pier in the Edwardian Era was 2d, which is equivalent to roughly 78 pence in 2016 money. The Pier apron was bought by Hastings Council in 1914, who enlarged it and installed a bandstand. This part of the Pier was then free to the public.
More from Changing
More from 1950s