Research Document - Trams and Trolley Buses in Hastings

A bustling Promenade in the 1930s showing the Pier and a Trolley Bus.

The Hastings Tramways Company was founded in early 1904, and construction of the Hastings tramways began soon after. July 31st,1905 – The town’s first tram service started, with 19,000 people using them on the first day. Initially there was just a circular route from the Silverhill depot, via Sedlescombe Road North, the Ridge, Ore, Mount Pleasant, Blacklands, Queens Road, the town centre and Bohemia Road to Silverhill, with a branch line from Silverhill up Battle Road. A branch from Ore to the bottom of Harold Road opened August 24 1905. Another branch from Silverhill down London Road opened on July 28 1906, and the separate Bopeep-Bexhill line opened April 9 1906. The final section from Bopeep to the Memorial, along the seafront, did not open until January 12 1907.

Hastings Pier Charity Volunteer

Downloads

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *